Microsoft has been showing advertisements in Skype window for quite a while. These annoying ads that are being displayed not only in the home menu but also on the chat windows which can be stressful for all of us.Even though Microsoft bought Skype for $8.5 Billion, some estimate that Microsoft loses billion every year on Skype, and other products and services like Windows Phone, and Xbox. So you can imagine why these annoying ads keep taking over more and more space of the Skype messenger window.
Anyway, if you are tired and wondered how to get rid of all these annoying ads, then you are on the right page to learn how to remove or block it. These following steps can be performed on any Windows system, so the steps from below are also compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 devices.
Let’s Find How to Remove Skype Ads or Block Skype Ads:
- Quit Skype (Sometimes, you may need to close Skype app from the task bar)
- Go to Control Panel.
- Locate and click to navigate Control Panel » Network & Internet » Internet Options item.
- In Internet Options dialog, switch to Security tab and select Restricted sites.
- Click the Sites button. The “Restricted sites” dialog will appear on the screen.
- Now in ‘Add this website to the zone:’ text field type
https://apps.skype.comand click the Add button
- Next, Click Close then the OK button to close the Restricted Sites dialog and Internet Options dialog box.
- Open the Skype app.
So you’ve done it. but the side effect of this trick is that Skype’s homepage is disabled too.
Note: Sometimes you’ll see a blank ad placeholders, if you want to completely remove the placeholders then here’s a tutorial to Remove Skype Ad Placeholders or Get Rid of Skype Ad Placeholders.